Tuesday 16 September 2014

Do You Think Zero Waste Is Possible? - How To Reduce, Reuse & Recycle

Hello! Do you Reduce, Reuse & Recycle things at home?

I have a confession to make.  I have always loved recycling and reusing different things at home.  But now I have become even more enthusiastic on sustainable, green living.

I am excited about those 3 R's.  Especially about Reducing. If I reduce, then I don't have to think about those other two.

It's amazing how much we can reduce waste (and save money!) by thinking about what we really need when shopping and what better alternatives we can use at home. 

Things that we do at home :
  • When I shop for food or any other things - I carry my own bags and basket (luv my basket).  Avoiding packaged food and researching ways of storing food without plastics - I am learning to make my own bread, cookies and pastries - hm..interesting :-) and our goal is to grow our own food at home - so we can shop for fresh food in our backyard! Yay!  
  •  We compost most our organic waste (except meat and dairy) from the kitchen and household. All garden waste and lawn clippings get composted. Hardly anything goes to the dump.  Anything that is recyclable goes to the recycling bin.
  • We are harvesting rain water and have solar panels.
  •  I cut old and worn fabrics and make floor rag rugs out of them.  Plastic bags can also be made for floor rugs.  Some fabrics I use as cleaning rags.  
  •  It's amazing how much cleaning you can do with baking soda, white vinegar and lemons.  Not buying chemicals.  
  • HOT Tip! I found out recently that there is a Loofah vine that can be grown at home which produces 'cucumbers'.  When they mature and dry out they become a 'sponge' that can be used in cleaning and a body sponge AND at the end of it's life they become an organic waste that can be composted!  Fabulous. 
Found this great short video on reducing waste.  Take a look how this young lady has reduced her waste into just a jar full of trash.  Inspiring!




Let us know how you Reduce, Reuse and Recycle at home!

Heli & Allan        

www.MyVegetablePatch.com 
www.facebook.com/MyVegetablePatch 
www.twitter.com/GrowOwnFood      

We hope you found this post helpful! If so, please be sociable and share :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment